Kids will love this super easy personalized washable bag for storing their own
toiletries at home or on the road. It makes a great inexpensive gift, especially if
you include a brand new toothbrush, tube of toothpaste, and floss. It's even plenty
big enough to add a brush, comb, deodorant and more!
- One regular size washcloth
- Embroidery supplies, including lightweight
tearaway and water soluble stabilizer
- Clear monofilament thread
- Piece of Velcro the length of one side of
- Clear vinyl, same size as washcloth
- Lay washcloth flat with tag side up (this
will be the wrong side - also the inside of the bag). Determine which edge is to be
folded over for the flap. (See photo of finished sample).
This will be the top edge (A). Measure down 1 1/2" from this edge on
both the left and right edges of the washcloth. Mark with 2 pins.
- Fold bottom edge (B) up to the pins.
Fold top edge (A) down over B, overlapping 1 1/2".
- Using template, mark placement area of
design(s). Sample required 2 hoopings with the regular hoop, one for the design and
one for the name.
- Unfold washcloth and embroider designs.
Either hoop the washcloth and slide tearaway underneath hoop, or hoop tearaway and
machine-baste washcloth to it. Top it off with water soluble stabilizer, pinned or
basted in place.
- Embroider designs, remove from hoop, remove
- (Optional) If you would like, you can line
the inside of the washcloth with vinyl at this point. My 3 kids use their bags to
keep their "stuff" in at home, and because they are not lined, the toothbrush
dries out between brushings. But for traveling, you may want to waterproof the bag.
Simply cut a piece of clear vinyl the same size as the washcloth and stitch them
together close to all four edges using the clear monofilament thread. Thanks to PattiJC for this tip!
- Sew Velcro plastic hook side on right
side of washcloth along bottom edge (B), even with edge, with clear thread.
- Sew Velcro softer loop side on wrong side
of washcloth along top edge (A), about 1/4" away from edge, with clear thread.
- Refold bottom edge (B) back up to the pin
markers. Zigzag both side edges from the pin marker to the fold. Fold flap
over and close with Velcro. That's it! Wasn't that easy?
FREE Sample Design
(Happy Tooth has been
Click on the format of your
choice to download a zip of Timmy Tooth!
Based on Exclusive
Artwork Commissioned from Doodle Dragon Studios
Trudi Koch of Ohio sent this
picture of her version of the bag.
Click on the picture to download Trudi's